Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Intolerable

I was thinking about the people that consider themselves "so liberal" and "super tolerant", but how their tolerance only extends to what they find tolerable. Brings to mind the bible thumping type that preaches on and on about charity and forgiveness, but then happily points out every possible flaw and "un-christian" behavior in an exceptionally intolerant way.

Me? I am struggling with being "The Intolerable."

I recognize that my personality is abrasive to some (maybe all). I realize that I have my own way of doing things; That I am an odd mixture of feminine and masculine and have little room for super drama and don't care for it. But, I have a host of friends who are really feminine, sweet, funny and enjoyable in ways that I tend not to be. I thought they were my friends. Finding out that I'm not acceptable, I'm intolerable to these girls, the ones that were constantly telling me to be more accepting and tolerant, reminds me so much of my family; the same irritating attributes that they all have. They constantly preach social liberality, but not at home. "Everything is acceptable, well... except for you." I struggle with this and I'm trying to find a way to reconcile it.

I'm struggling... people don't really change. Personalities are pretty static. So, what I tolerated in my "friends", wasn't going to change in their personalities and I knew it wasn't going to change. I recognized that I needed to accept their idiosyncrasies. What is different about mine that they fall in the unacceptable category. I need an explanation. Or perhaps, I just need to accept it and move on, in true liberal fashion.


No comments:

Post a Comment