Friday, March 26, 2010

It was an old kit anyway

Seriously, when you have a fall, (I'm just sayin', they happen people), the last thing you want is to ruin your kit.

The Driveway Series, Thursday night crits, just recently started. A week ago Thurs, to be precise. I was AMPED & excited that my youngest daughter was going to at the races with me. I planned to do the first Women's 3/4 race, then take a little break, and do the next Women's 3/4, mixed in with the Men's 4/5's.

The evening started out great. There weren't too many in the first race, but a few were very competitive & the race came down to the final sprint. Photofinish & I won, by a whisker with a bike throw. Awesome considering first race of the Driveway, and my daughter was watching, camera in hand; Great cheerleader.
My next race staged and we had a pretty big crowd. We started out and immediately the pace was high and there was plenty of jockeying for position. We completed the first lap and started to take the tight turns at the beginning of the next lap and there it happened. As if in slow motion, the rear wheel of the rider next to me, just kept moving closer and closer to mine. Then I was down. I watched a rider launch over and land in front of me with a thud, like some macabre Cirque du Soleil act. Then, I hopped up and tried to turn my bike wheels... No Go. Crap. I ran to the mechanic's tent.
"Your fork is cracked.", he said. "Huh?" I'm so eloquent. "Your fork is cracked. See? & you have blood on your kit."

I'm not writing down what I thought or said. My racing for that day was OVER. I packed my crap and had my new road rash and chain ring laceration tended by the medic on duty, and my daughter drove me home. BUMMER.

The next week, I returned to the Driveway. I'm not back on my pretty little bike yet (fork ordered, ouch), but I was able to borrow Andrew W's bike (& Mel's too, so sweet). I rode Andrew's bike to a 2nd in the Women's 3/4 & 1st in the second Women's 3/4 race, again combined with the Men's 4/5. No collisions!

I still may wear the kit again. The bibs and jersey are blood stained, but it'll do for training. It was an old kit anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment